Paws & Planet Supplier Spotlight: Green & Wild's I Naturally For Pets
In this series of blog posts, we wanted to give you an insight to some of our suppliers, their products and eco-credentials and why we chose them. First up is one of our most popular product suppliers, Green & Wild’s.
The idea for Green & Wild’s was thought up by John Elmes in the early 2000’s after his friend returned from Canada with an antler chew for his dog. After searching high and low and realising you couldn’t get them anywhere this side of the Atlantic, Green & Wild’s was founded to fill the void.
Fast forward to today and Green & Wild’s offer much more than just antler chews. They now offer a whole range of products, such as toys and chews, and, as you'd expect from their tagline 'naturally for pets', everything they offer is natural, eco-friendly and healthy.
In this section we’ll dig a bit deeper into the products that Green & Wild’s offer and what makes them so great!
It would be rude not to start with the product that inspired the creation of Green & Wild’s - Antler dog chews!
Green & Wild’s offer the largest range of antler dog chews in the UK. They make fantastic dog chews because they are totally natural, long lasting, provide good minerals and are odourless to humans. Antlers are a totally natural product, completely free from additives or preservatives, and are hypoallergenic.
All of the premium Antler chews that come from Green & Wild’s are from Grade A and AA Red Deer antler. They are naturally shed and responsibly sourced, primarily from the Highlands of Scotland and are traceable and sustainable.
After being collected, the antlers are hand washed in pure water, hand cut and hand sanded to smooth all the edges. Every chew is then hand checked for quality and labelled, all here in the UK in Green & Wild’s own facility.
From puppies to older dogs, all are fascinated by them and love to explore the different taste and texture; gnawing, playing, chewing, licking, carrying and grinding them. Another real positive is that they don’t go off which means that dogs can leave them and come back to it, day after day, for weeks or even months.
Some of the main reasons that antler dog chews are so good for your dog:
- 100% natural
- Packed full of tasty minerals and nutrients. Antler Dog Chews contain a fantastic amount of minerals: Ash, Protein, Fibre, Calcium, Phosphorous, Magnesium, Iron, Sodium and Potassium
- Made of a hard, bony material, harder than normal bone, that’s much less likely to splinter or shatter, and that means they last and last, even longer than raw hide and compacted vegetable starch chews.
- They’re good for your dog’s teeth, as it doesn’t fill gaps in teeth and the chewing /gnawing, grinds down the chew slowly, helping to keep teeth clean and healthy
- They are also really good for dogs with sensitive tummies and those on a fat controlled diet.
Packed into Green & Wild’s antler dog chews, you will find all of the following beneficial minerals:
- Collagen – Good for bones, tendons, ligaments and cartilage
- Lipids – Essential for growth and development
- Glucosamine – Good for joints and tissues
- Calcium and phosphorous – Benefits bones and teeth
- Iron – Essential for healthy blood cells
- Potassium – Good for nerve and muscle function
- Magnesium – Aids in storing and releasing energy
The Olivewood chews from Green & Wild’s are made from annually harvested wood which comes from managed Olive trees in "Olivar's" (Field of Olive tree's) and are 100% sustainable. Olivewood is a close grained wood that is harder than most native woods. It is simply graded, dried and sanded and then lightly infused with virgin olive oil, to give a healthy, safe and satisfying chew for any dog.
Every dog has a natural urge to chew, which often starts when they are puppies and progresses to chewing our table legs and shoes! Chewing gives natural dental care and occupies the dog and Olivewood chews are a great way for your dog to satisfy their chewing instincts whilst chewing on something natural and sustainable.
Some of the key benefits of dogs chewing Olivewood are:
- Safe, clean and tasty to chew
- Great for dental hygiene
- Infused with Olive oil which is good for a healthy coat and immune system
- Durable and long lasting
- No artificial ingredients, 100% natural wood
- Suitable For all Sizes, including puppies
The dog toys are our personal favourite offering from Green & Wild’s. All of their eco-friendly toys are made from sustainable jute which is a natural plant fibre. It is tough and long lasting, and is produced without using any added compounds that would harm or be released when chewed. Jute is also 100% biodegradable.
The range of eco-friendly dog toys that they supply have four layers of jute twin stitched over recycled cotton and jute rope. Some are also covered in suede, a by-product of the meat industry, and ensures this material is not wasted.
They come in a range of super fun characters (Olive the Octopus is Vinnie’s favourite!) and are great toys for interactive play, throwing, tugging and general chewing and will provide dogs with hours of fun!
Green & Wild’s ChewRoots are a sustainable natural wood dog chew toy. The chewroots are harvested by hand from tree roots in protected areas to ensure there is no damage to the roots system of the trees or forests. Only the tuber of the root is harvested which then sprouts again, making them eco-sustainable.
The harvest is also limited to a responsible number each year to ensure that they are not taken advantage of. They are totally untreated and satisfy a dogs chewing instinct whilst acting like natural toothbrush and maintaining good dental hygiene.
You can shop the whole range of Green & Wild's products that we stock on our website here.